Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Spring Has Sprung

My front garden peaked this week and looks spectacular.   Every time I've looked at the garden this week, my heart has been filled with such joy.  

I'm re-editing all of my gardens this year.  I'm getting rid of plants that are either too big or not thriving.  I'm adding a perennial cutting garden next to house.  And I'm re-engineering the back garden to make it feel more zen-like.  It's a big project, but it is extremely therapeutic.

And as an extra bonus both Zo Peep and Libby Doodle Doo have wanted to help me work in the garden this Spring.  Zo Peep has never shown any interest in the past.  This year she wants to know the name of the plants and keeps asking me a million questions.  The Doodle wants to gently touch the flowers and feel their textures.  She also isn't afraid of getting her hands dirty and wants to scratch in the dirt like mommy.

Perhaps I'm raising two budding horticulturists.

Here are some photos I took today.  I've tried to name the plants and varieties in each picture.  I'm a little rusty on the varieties of bulbs and perennials I have here (much better on the trees and shrubs).  If anyone sees something that they want to know more about, feel free to ask and I can go back in my records and find out what it is.  


#1 The entry to the garden.  Most trees are still in bud stage, but the cherry (Prunus 'Hally Jolivette') on the right is in full flower.  Next week the redbud (Cercis canadensis 'Forest Pansy') next to the front porch will be covered in pinkish buds.  The small greenish tree on the left is a dogwood (Cornus mas) and was covered in lovely yellow flowers only a week ago.

#2 -- Hellebores in bloom.
#3   A collection of tulips, muscari, and dozens of varieties of daffs and the base of my Baldcypress ( Taxodium distichum'Shawnee Brave')
#4  A close-up of the muscari -- with a little tulip and coral bells (heucheras)
#5 Another close-up showing a hosta in lower right  unfurling its huge leaves.   Such a nice contrast to the bulb foliage and boxwood (Buxus microphylla) on the far left.

Gotta love Spring!!

6 comments:

Amy said...

This is lovely - wish I had your talent (and obvious love) for gardening.

Lisa and Tate said...

Oh my, this should be part of a spring garden tour! Spectacular!

Elissa said...

First of all, what a magnificent garden! I'm so impressed. Second of all, I am SO glad you're back in blogland! I missed all three of you dearly.

Doug and Katherine said...

So good to see you back to blogging. I've missed hearing about you and the girls. They are getting SOOOOO big. Please please please tell me who this photographer is? The pictures are gorgeous. It is you?

~ katherine

Sarah in Chicago said...

I am so happy I checked your blog today after so long. Seeing all the flowers in your lovely garden was wonderful (especially given the rain in Chicago this weekend), but not as great as seeing the pictures of the girls and reading that you may be posting more frequently.

We may receive our referral for "baby sister" later this week -- we are LID 3.14.06 and they are finally reaching us. Seeing the photo montage of your kids has made me that much more excited and thrilled! GOOD LUCK with the hunt ... as one marketing communications person to another, this environment will improve and you will be fine. I know it ....
Take care - Sarah

JandG said...

Welcome back! Your garden is stunning. I'm jealous. All I seem to grow are weeds!