Monday, April 20, 2009

Easter Fashion

As I return to the blogging world, I'm going to post a few stories of things that have happened during my 6 month hiatus.  Here is one that just happened in the last few weeks.  -Mama Hen
*******************************************************


I could write a sonnet
About your Easter bonnet
And of the girl I'm taking to the Easter parade
-Irving Berlin

I loved Easter as a kid. Not only was it a holiday filled with colored eggs and candy, but it also was the one-day each year when I would get a brand new outfit to wear to church. I was the third of six children and money was always tight.   I spent most of my life in hand-me-downs, so getting that new dress, those new shoes – sometimes even a spring coat, hat, gloves and purse – was so special.

I wanted to maintain that tradition for my girls, too.

So a couple months ago I was stressing over the fact that – with no job in sight – I wouldn’t be able to afford Easter dresses for Libby Doodle Doo and Little Zo Peep – certainly nothing like the co-ordinating silk shantung confections that they wore last year. Such a purchase seemed so frivolous these days.  

And then – as I was going through a bin of size 2T Spring/Summer clothes put away when Zo Peep outgrew them -- I made an amazing discovery.  I found not One, not Two but SIX fancy dresses that had never been worn by the Peep and still had their tags on.  

Now I can’t tell you why I bought so many dresses for Zo Peep way back then. Maybe I was insane, maybe prescient -- perhaps somewhere deep inside I knew that I would need a new dress for the Peep's little sister someday.  Who knows?

I had the Doodle try on the 6 possible Easter dresses and found 2 that fit her perfectly.  I picked a cotton floral one with a touch of eyelet and a bit of tulle underneath to give the dress some extra pouf.  The fabric is really retro and reminded me of curtains (or maybe it was a table cloth) in my grandma's kitchen when I was a toddler myself.

Once I had the Doodle’s Easter dress resolved, I brainstormed about what to do for Zo Peep. And then I remembered that when Zo Peep was 3 1/2,  I stumbled upon a "Going Out of Business" sale at a high end girls' clothing shop.  With prices from 75 to 90% off, I decided to buy her First Holy Communion Dress -- a dress she would not wear for another 4 years.   I had no idea what size the Peep would be in 2nd grade, so I bought
THREE dresses that day -- size 6, 6x and 7.  I figured I would find good use for the dresses I ultimately did not use.

Fast forward to early April, 2009.   

I found the garment bag with the Communion dresses (I had also bought a Communion veil and gloves -- more things that I had forgotten about).  The size 6 dress fit Zo Peep beautifully.  It was ivory silk sheath  with just a hint of green and lilac at the bodice and hem -- totally appropriate for Easter.

So with dresses -- purchased in 2006 and 2004 --  my girls were able to wear their New Easter outfits this year.

They both looked charming.
 

7 comments:

Melissa said...

The girls look just lovely in their new Easter outfits! :)

Lisa and Tate said...

What a cool story. How wonderful to find the forgotten treasure! The girls looks adorable.

Easter Dress Mom said...

Those dresses are so adorable!

Marcia said...

How wonderful to check your blog this evening and find that you're posting again! And I'm so glad to hear that the girls are healthy and happy, and that continue to have a good perspective in the midst of your job loss and challenges.
I agree with the comment posted above--what a cool story to hear of your finding the lovely Easter dresses for the girls.
Blessings to you and yours,
Marcia from Wisconsin
(a fellow SWT group member; I'm happy Momma to Sara Marina-age 5, and Kate-age 3, both adopted from Kazakhstan as infants)

Shawnstribe said...

Stunning and beautiful, He knows our every need even before we whisper them ourselves : )
Welcome back girly , it;sso good to 'hear your voice'
xxx
s

Linda said...

Beautiful dresses for beautiful girls. You now have a great memory of Easter this year. I believe God gives us small miracles each day and I think he gave you a big one that day when you remembered the dresses.
Hoping for more miracles large and small for you.. Linda

Gwyn Cready said...

I think you should start a business making videos out of people's photos. You'd make a million.

I, too, am glad to see you blogging again, T.