Saturday, May 23, 2009

It's called a Bash -- a Birthday Bash

Last Thursday -- May 21st-- was Little Zo Peep's 7th birthday (Don't get me started  on how quickly she is growing up).  We had a party after school for her and some of her friends.

For the last several years - in fact- I've had backyard birthday parties for Little Zo Peep and have kept to a small guest list of 5 to 10 kids.  

Little Zo Peep's birthday parties have not always been so low key.

Once upon a time -- when Little Zo Peep was turning 4 -- I decided that we should host her very first kids' birthday party (We had done relatives-only before this).  I had decided to have the party at the local Zoo and invited all the kids from her daycare (the Peep had been with these kids since I had adopted her).  When I added in siblings of her daycare classmates and a few extra kids that we knew -- the guest list exceeded 30 kids.  

30+ kids!!!   What was I thinking!!!

But I didn't stop there.  When I received the contract from the Zoo about possible activities, I went crazy.  I opted for the  animal interaction demonstration (including a hedgehog, a boa constrictor, a bunny and a lizard) AND an animal craft project AND a story teller AND party games AND a pinata.  During the party -- I was overwhelmed by all the hoopla and how over-the-top it all was.   

To this day I still cringe at the yuppie excessiveness of that event.  My gosh -- if this was Zo Peep's  4th birthday party -- what would I be doing for her Sweet 16?  Balloon rides in Napa Valley?  A Runway shows in Paris?  Skiing in the Andes?  So I learned from this rookie mistake.

On the way home that night, I vowed to only have small, house-based parties for the Peep.  And that is what's we've done ever since.  The parties require much more planning and effort on my part, but they are much more manageable, a lot  cheaper, more creative and -- I think -- more fun. 

For example: 

For her 5th birthday we had a Balloon theme (my niece -- an architecture student -- designed the invitations).  We had a balloon relay race,  balloon cookies that they could decorate and  a guy at the end who made balloon animals for the kids.  For our take -home party favor, I rented a helium tank where kids could create their own balloon bouquet.  


For her 6th birthday, we had a Cooking theme.  The invitations were on recipe cards (e.g. Ingredients:  1 birthday girl, a bunch of friends, 3 party games, etc).  When the guests arrived, we had paper chef hats for the kids to decorate.  For games we had a "carrying popcorn in a ladle relay" and also had a blindfolded "guess the food" contest.  Plus the kids helped prepare our lunch (corn/black bean salad,  tacos, & guacamole).  Party favors were put inside oven mitts and included some treats plus measuring spoons and a spatula.

This year -- for birthday #7 (still can't believe she is 7) we had a Luau party.  Invitations were on a message inside a plastic bottle (with a little bit of sand for good measure).  
We asked guest to wear bathing suits and had grass skirts, leis and a hibiscus flower (for their hair) to put on when they arrived.  For activities we had a hula contest, water balloon toss,  a limbo contest and a squirt bottle attack free-for-all.   Dinner included pulled pork sliders, a tropical lemon cole slaw, a piña colada salad and build-your-own fresh fruit kabobs.  The girls seemed to have a blast.

I share these birthday ideas because someone may want to use them for their own kids.  I know that I'm going to re-use at least some of these ideas for Libby Doodle Doo.  It's fair to say that each of these parties took me some time to plan and coordinate (certainly more than writing a check to the Zoo) -- so its nice to think that the initial work can be used again and again.  But in spite of the time and effort, I think these home-made parties are totally worth it.  

Before going to bed on Thursday, Little Zo Peep was sitting on the floor putting together one of her gifts when she looked up at me  and said:

"Thanks for the party, Mom.  It was lots of fun."

Totally worth it.

Now today we have another big event.   We are expanding our family.

No it's not what you think.

Today at 2 PM Libby Doodle Doo, Little Zo Peep and I will go to a local animal shelter and get a kitten.  Little Zo Peep has been wanting a cat for the last 2 years and I promised her that she could have one for her 7th birthday.

Zo Peep is giddy with excitement.   I don't think she slept very much last night.   I honestly
think that she is more excited about this kitten than she was for her birthday -- and that's saying a lot.

I'll post on Sunday to introduce you to our new little addition.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Happy Birthday!! Home parties are the best. Being older my children always had home parties, I always made the cake in the shape of different characters or things. It was always fun to plan and do. My grandkids used to have the parties at different places. All the kids seem to do that now. A few years ago my daughter in law decided to change that and the kids had a great time. Now that they are older it's become sleepovers and pool parties. Most important is the memories you give your kids not the amount you spend. I think this time in our country people are getting back to the basics and we need to do that. I know the kitten will be super cute and she will loves it. Linda